Friday 8 October 2010

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

As some of you know, I've been obsessed lately with salami, cheese and bread.

Thanks to a French friend of mine, who lived with me for three months, I just can't get enough of baguettes, brie and cured pork.

Tonight, I went someplace to buy these things that I thought might have them in ample supply and in good quality - Selfridges.

Now, Selfridges on Oxford Street is not your ordinary shopping experience.

If you're like me, on a budget, then shopping for high scale food in high scale department stores is not the most practical approach to grocery shopping.

Still, we must all treat ourselves special sometimes.

The Meat Counter

Of course, I was very pleased to walk straight to the meat counter and immediately find my new guilty pleasure, Jésus.

Jésus, a pork liver sausage, is so far the best cured meat I've tasted and I simple can't get enough.

Yet, beneath that canvas of meaty goods, I also saw Gyula - a Hungarian sausage.

Admittedly, I have the warm fuzzies for Hungarian sausage.

This is due to the same French friend.  Whilst staying with me, a close Hungarian friend of hers visited the home of his youth.

He brought back with him a Hungarian sausage that was aged over a long period of time until it became the beautiful, reddish marvel that my friend cheekily dangled in front of me.

After gleefully watching me suffer, she finally offered me a slice.  What can I say?  The moment my  buds registered the new taste, I was hooked.

That night, it took all of my will power to keep from creeping into the fridge and robbing my friend blind while she slept.

And then she had the nerve to leave half of that sausage in the fridge while she went on a quick trip to France.  AGONY!!!

The Hungarian sausage I bought from Selfridges isn't nearly as tasty as the one my friend was given, but it had the same rich, spicy quality that I've come to love.

Accoutrements

I also picked up a granary baguette (granary bread is lower on the Glycemic Index) and some excellent brie cheese (best brie I've tasted in London so far.)

Once I returned home, I simply made a bit of homemade mayonnaise, and voila - the perfect meal.

It doesn't get any better than this.

Happy Eating!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jesus! I know that one day you'll say that you love him.

    Cannot wait to see you and make you try some new stuff... some Belgian cheese and chocolate:)

    ReplyDelete