Saturday 2 October 2010

Big Sausage Made in the Old Style

Jésus a L'ancienne is all I can think about.

No, I am not referring to a Christian deity, nor am I referring to one of the fine male inhabitants of Puerto Rico.

Jésus a L'ancienne is a French pork liver sausage.

Now if you've been reading my blogs (and I'm sure you have) you already know that I am currently obsessed with French cuisine.  Therefore, the sausage is of no surprise to you.

Still, of all the sausage I have tasted thus far, Jésus a L'ancienne is indeed my favourite.


Pig from heaven

I can only imagine that when a French butcher decided to come up with this delightful hunk of meat, he had selected the pig from a corner of heaven.

L'ancienne, a French word meaning 'made in the old style' gives somewhat of an indication of how this pork liver sausage was cured, fondled and shaped before it ended up on a chopping block.

After a frantic call to my friend in Belgium, I found out that Jésus is French for 'big sausage'.  And this particular 'big sausage made in the old style' can be found in different regions, smoked or unsmoked.

I am happy and a little bit ashamed to say that I ate the entire 150 grams that I'd bought home in one sitting.  Moderation was just not an option for me upon being introduced to this delightful treat.

But still, I can imagine that it goes very nicely with a doughy French bread and a lovely wine.  My friend assures me that the Jésus de Monteau is particularly appealing.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment