Monday 27 September 2010

Mayonnaise Unjarred

I can't remember a time in my life when the rich, white creaminess of mayonnaise wasn't a part of it.

But what did I know?
I only thought that something wonderful had been captured in the glass jars that I have nimbly stuck my fist in over the years, trying to get the last few glops from the bottom with a butter knife.

It wasn't until recently, that my French friend watched me in disgust as I reached for a jar of store bought mayo from the fridge.

"What are you doing," she asked, shaking her head in disappointment.  You might have thought I was eating dirt the way she reacted.

"I'm making tuna," I replied, with feigned ignorance.  I knew she was getting at something, but my ego couldn't take it.

Yet, I finally let her school me in the ways of making homemade mayonnaise.  And since then, I have never looked back.

Making Mayonnaise

Making mayo from scratch is no easy task when you're a beginner.

There is a legitimate worry that instead of a smooth, creamy custard-like substance, you'll actually make a gloppy, curdled mess.  I speak from experience, believe me.

But first, let's talk about the colour.  Mayonnaise is typically white when you buy it from the supermarket.

However, if you're concerned that something which contains both egg yolks and mustard is not at least a tiny bit yellowish in colour, then you are a very smart person indeed.

I've made mayo countless times now and it has always been a very light yellow hue.

But probably the most important rule of making mayonnaise successfully is to whip it....whip it good.

Though Shalt Not Curdle 

You see, egg yolks do not mix well with oil.  And if you don't constantly whisk, stir or beat the mixture, then it will most assuredly curdle.

So remember to have all your ingredients right in front of you.

There's nothing worse than starting a good whipping motion, only to find that you have to stop and get the mustard from the fridge and then twist the top off and get a spoon.

By that time, you could be in up to your wrist in curdled goo.

Lay out all the ingredients, and relax your wrist - because you are about to give it a fierce workout.

Recipe

3 egg yolks (from medium-sized eggs)

1 to 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard

1 to 2 teaspoons of lemon juice

1/2 cup of olive oil

Salt and pepper for taste

First separate eggs.  For those of you who find that difficult, here's an easy method.  Keep a cup or bowl in front of you in which you can discard the egg whites.  Also, keep nearby the bowl in which you will drop in the egg yolk.

Gently crack the egg on a hard surface, but only pull the shells apart a little (just enough for the egg yolk to drip out of the crack in the egg.

Once all the egg white has dripped out, open the shell all the way and drop the egg yolk in a bowl.

The best method for whipping the eggs is to use a wire whisk.  Whisk the egg yolks until they are blended.  Then add in a teaspoon of dijon mustard and whisk again until blend.

Now this is the delicate part.  Keep whisking while using your free hand to pour in small drops of olive oil at a time.  So you want to dribble in a little bit and then whisk.  When the oil is completely blended with the yolk, drip in some more.  Keep doing this until all of the oil is in.

You'll notice that as you whisk, the mixture will begin to thicken.  That is a good thing.  After half of the oil has been dribbled in, you can begin to take chances.  There is less likely of a chance that the mixture will curdle by then.

You can also begin tasting it to see what it needs.  A little salt?  A bit of pepper?  Maybe a drop more lemon juice?  It's up to you.

I made mayonnaise about four times before I got it right, so don't be afraid to experiment.  Also, at times when I was too broke to buy olive oil, I settled for the cheaper sunflower oil instead.  Decent mayonnaise can be made with either oil.

The great thing about homemade mayo, is that it tastes good with anything.  You'll find yourself dipping pieces of fresh bread into the mixture.

Since it is basically oil and eggs, mayo is high in fat, so be careful if you're trying to keep your caloric intake low.

This is a fresh food made with raw eggs, so it's always best to eat it in the first couple of days and keep refrigerated.

Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment